Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Through the Looking Glass

Dear Readers,

If you are new to this blog, then you probably don't know that I love Alice in Wonderland from Lewis Carroll, the Disney movie, the dolls... well almost anything regarding Wonderland.



I quite liked the 2010 movie from Tim Burton although it was definitely more dark than I had thought.  Well I jumped in happiness after I came across THIS:  there will be a sequel!!!

Not directed by Tim Burton this time but with many of the original actors, notably Mia Wasikowska, Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter!

It will be directed this time by James Bobin (Muppets Most Wanted) and the screenplay will be written by Linda Woolverton who was responsible for the screenplay in the first movie as well.

The sequel's title is apparently "Through the Looking Glass" but I wonder what it will actually be about since the first movie already included many parts of "Through the Looking Glass".  I  wonder if it will be about a romantic relationship between Hatter and Alice.

Do you remember watching the 2010 movie and have this weird realization that there was something more between Tarrant and Alice?  Like the way the actors smiled at each others, not just with their lips but with their eyes as well? 

And when Hatter said "Why are you always too tall or too small?" as if he wished he could have kissed her.  Don't believe me?  Watch it again HERE (around 0:58).

And the farewell scene.  I was like "KISS THE GIRL ALREADY!"

I thought I might have been fantasizing too much about this but then I read about other viewers having the same reactions to the movie.  SO I AM NOT MAD AFTER ALL! 

Well it turned out Woolverton original had intended for Hatter to kiss Alice a few times!

From the Mad Hatter description on Alice Wikipedia : HERE.

It is implied he has a crush on Alice, although Johnny Depp, who portray the Hatter, said in a Facebook featurette (also found on youtube) that Tarrant and Alice "complete each other as a brother and sister would. He is very protective of her and she is very protective of him." In a draft by Linda Woolverton, there was a romance between the Hatter and Alice that included two kisses. However, in spite of the fact that Woolverton had written the Hatter's character with Johnny Depp in mind, once the actor was actually cast the script was rewritten to exclude the romance and the character rewritten to suit Depp (Disney's Alice in Wonderland: A Visual Companion, p. 35-38).

What did I tell you?

I just can't wait for the sequel to come out!!!!


EDIT: The sequel will be released on May 2016.  It seems like such a long wait.







6 comments:

  1. I feel your enthusiasm, Jane Cherie! This movie will be like a late birthday present for you. Enjoy, and tell us all about it afterward. I might even watch it after reading your enthusiastic post! :-) I find Alice in Wonderland to be very dark, actually. I didn't see the first movie, but it doesn't surprise me that it was dark. I tried reading the book a few years ago and stopped fairly early on for that reason. Wonderful actors for both movies, though! xo Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sequel won't be out until May 2016 though :( That's a long wait!

      Delete
  2. Hello from Spain: great movie. Keep in touch

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh great news! I really liked the movie - it was something different than "normal" Alice films, but great! Johnny Depp was magnificent as the Mad Hatter.
    I wonder what the new film will be about :D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked Tim Burton's twist to the Wonderland tale. I absolutely adore Johnny Depp in this role. He stole the show!

      Delete