Friday, September 4, 2015

Easy Chicken Congee

Dear Readers,

It's finally Friday.  It has been a long and busy week at the office and I didn't feel like cooking when I got home.  So I decided to make a quick and easy Chicken Congee, also known as Chicken Rice Porridge.

I posted the picture of my congee on Instagram and Melissa from Julia's Bookbag asked me for the recipe so here it is :)

My recipe is a lazy one because I used a prepared vegetable broth bought at the store instead of making my own chicken broth.  It would taste better if you make your own chicken stock of course but in case of last minute meals, this works pretty well.

What I like about congee is that you can modify the recipe according to your taste.  My grandmother used chicken drumsticks and my mother added chicken bones to add more flavor to the broth.  I used chicken breast because it is less fatty but you can also make it with ground beef or pork or even fish filets or tofu.

And the toppings or garnishes are the best part!  Some like to add roasted peanuts, fried shallots, crispy fried bread, been sprouts, sliced cabbage, boiled eggs, etc.  It's really up to you!  Put in what you like to eat in your congee!

Some like to add soy sauce, fish sauce, or salt but I am trying to eat healthy so I don't like to add any more sodium than it is necessary. 

Recipe for Easy Chicken Congee

Servings: 4
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour

Ingredients:

  • 6 cups broth (vegetable or low-sodium chicken broth)
  • 3/4 cup long grain white rice (add more rice if you like)
  • 2 skinless boneless chicken breasts cut into big chunks
  • 1 big piece of ginger, peeled
  • 1 tbs grated ginger
  • 1 tbs minced garlic
  • 1 tbs soy sauce
  • 1 tbs oyster sauce
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 pinch ground pepper

Garnish: (optional)

(you can add a lot more or use only the garnish you like)
  • Thinly sliced scallions
  • Chopped cilantro
  • Fried shallots
  • Roasted peanuts
  • Crispy fried bread
  • Sliced cabbage
  • Bean Sprouts
  • Hot chili pepper

Sauce : (optional)
  • Hot Chili sauce
  • Fish sauce
  • Sesame seed oil

Combine all the ingredients in a pot.  Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Once it is boiling, reduce the heat to low and and let simmer half-covered until the grain of rices are all broken down.  Add more water or broth if necessary.  Some like their congee to be thicker so it really depends on you.

Turn off the heat and take out the chunks of chicken.  Let it cool down enough so you can use your fingers to shred the chicken into long julienne or bite-sized pieces.  Place the chicken pieces back into the pot.

Stir gently and add salt and pepper to taste.  Pour into 4 bowls and add the garnish you like.

Voilà!  Easy?  Super easy :)

Please let me know if you know other variations of this dish!

Have a great weekend!


9 comments:

  1. Hurray!! Thank you so much! I can't wait to try this out - I think everyone in my family would love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it will be good! Let me know if you like it!

      Delete
  2. It sounds delicious and very warming for the winter. I will try this one day :)
    Hugs Maria

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really want to make this, it sounds so tasty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is yummy :D I hope you can give it a try. Especially when it's cold and rainy outside!

      Delete
  4. This looks delicious, Jane Cherie! I will have to try this in the near future! ☺ xo Jennifer

    ReplyDelete