Sunday, October 19, 2014

Dalicious Challenge 4

Dear Readers,

Mythology was the theme for the Challenge No. 4!

I was very excited about this theme because I remember being totally obsessed about Greek mythology when I was a teenager.  I read every single book I could get my hands on.  So this challenge was like a trip back in time and it was fun to ponder the different scenes I could re-create in my dolly world.

At first I wanted to do Icarus flying away from the labyrinth...or rather falling from the sky when his wings melted.  I needed to make some wings for him and I had in mind a very specific design.   

But I became suddenly very weak and I increasingly lost whatever energy I had left in me.  This past week was just horrible.   I will explain on another day what happened.

I could not make the wings I had planned so I settled for the tale of Cupid and Psyche because it was a scene I could re-create without too much work.  I wished I could have given Cupid his wings, bow and arrows... but time was not on my side.  I took a bunch of pictures on Saturday.

Today, I was in so much pain I nearly collapsed around noon.  I thought I wouldn't be able to submit the photo. I added a little candle flicker and a few light rays but I didn't dare do any drastic photoshop.   Now that I look at my photo, I realize I should have positioned Scout differently.   But oh well, it's too late to change so I'll just cross my fingers.

The story of Cupid and Psyche is one of my favorite in Greek Mythology.  Psyche marries Cupid but she does not know what he looks like since he insists on sleeping in total darkness. Psyche's sisters are very jealous to see that she lives in such a beautiful palace and so they convince her that her husband is a monster and that she must kill him!

One night after Cupid falls asleep, Psyche carries out the plan her sisters devised: she brings out a dagger and a lamp she had hidden in the room, in order to see and kill the monster. But when the light instead reveals the most beautiful creature she has ever seen, she is so startled that she wounds herself on one of the arrows in Cupid's cast-aside quiver. Struck with a feverish passion, she spills hot oil from the lamp and wakes him.

Kai (my Isul Lir) is cosplaying as Cupid.  I really loved the fact that this bedroom scene allowed me to leave Isul in the nude so I didn't have to worry about making an outfit for him!!! ^_^

Scout (Dal Tweety) is wearing a gown I made with leftover white fabric.  The knife is from a Barbie kitchen playset.   The candle is from WYRNA'S MINIATURE BOUTIQUE.  I got it along with some exquisite furniture that I bought to decorate the Chocolate Rabbit grandparents's cottage!

The previous challenge (Vintage) earned me a third position but I think this scene won't win any awards LOL  I am however very glad to have been able to submit the photo in time.  There are two more challenges so I want to stay until the end to finish the contest even though I don't stand a chance of winning anything!

The pictures are not up on the Dolly Market Forum yet but you can view some of them in the Dalicious Flickr Group.

Have a wonderful week everybody!


EDIT: The photos are now up on the Dolly Market Forum or you can go directly to the Challenge 4 Entries.  There are many amazing photos!




21 comments:

  1. Coucou Jane,
    je t'écris de mon nouveau blog... j'ai mis un message sur "la fine équipe" à ce sujet!

    J'aime beaucoup ta photo, la lumière que tu as créée est superbe et pas facile à réaliser.. en tout cas ça me plait et j'espère que ça plaira aussi au jury de ton concours.
    J'espère que tu vas mieux aujourd'hui et que tu n'es plus malade.
    Je te souhaite une bonne semaine.
    Bisous
    Agnès

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci Agnès! C'est très gentil de ta part pour le message!

      Delete
  2. The photo is absolutly awesome! I love the Greek mythology very much and I think the picture captured the story of Cupid and Psyche perfectly! Cupid/Kai looks so lovely. :) You must win an award!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your sweet comment! Kai was perfect as Cupid and I like the fact that Isul dolls can close their eyes! Dal dolls can only look right or left and can't close their eyes.

      Delete
  3. Hi Jane,
    Fantastic scene! It is so simplistic, yet you know what is happening. Thanks for sharing the story; I was not familiar with it.
    Have a great week,
    Lisa :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa! I am glad the picture was able to convey the mood although there were not many props!

      Delete
  4. Hello from Spain: fabulous history of mythology. Great pic. . Keep in touch

    ReplyDelete
  5. le sujet est bien choisi, la photo est très belle !
    J'espère que vous allez beaucoup mieux.
    A bientôt. Bises. Joce

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic scenes so far Jane! This project is looking great ;)
    Hugs~J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane! I have two more to go! Can't wait for the finale!

      Delete
  7. I like it! Looks like this one was more challenging in general, compared to some of the others. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Danzel! It was definitely more challenging! The lack of clothes and props meant I either had to create them or buy them! But I promised myself to not buy anything extra for this contest and just use whatever I have already at home!

      Delete
  8. Everytime I see there is a new post from you, about this challenge I get very excited, it's so much fun to see what you have come up with =) You have great ideas! I'm sorry you didn't have time to make the scene you wanted, but this one turned out good too!
    Hope you feel better soon! I live with pain in my shoulder and neck every now and then, so I know how the energy can go away just like that.. I'm thinking of you! Take care!
    Hugs Hannah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hannah! From a mother to another, I feel your pain! Let's hope both of us can overcome these problems :)

      Delete
  9. Hi Jane, I hope this contest still lasts longer, because your pictures are so great, I want to to see lots more! This again is a great picture, you captured the essence beautifully! Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comment! There are two more challenges and I think I will be glad when it's done because I have other photos I need to take for my blog ;-)

      Delete
  10. I like the Greek mythology story you told in this post. I think I read Chinese version before when I was little but I didn't remember very clearly. This scene is very beautiful. I like the white dress matching the white bedroom. The candle is cute. I want to know what happen between Cupid and Psyche after this so I'll google now...:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Their story reminds me a lot of Cinderella with all the tasks given to Psyche. There are many beautiful illustrated books about this story.

      Delete
  11. Fantastic work, Jane Cherie! Your photos have so much depth to them, and the lighting is great too! I saw your post a couple of days ago but only now had time to write a comment! You're awesome! xo Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to comment Jennifer! I hope you will feel better very soon!

      Delete