Tuesday, April 13, 2021

A Review of the Playmobil Suburban Dollhouse

Dear Readers,

I love dollhouses.  I am obsessed with them.  Over the  years, I have accumulated quite a few of different sizes.  It all started with a dollhouse from Calico Critters (aka Sylvanian Families).  Their dollhouses are very sturdy and beautiful but they were too big for some of my figures so I decided to get a Playmobil dollhouse.

I started with the Take Along Modern Dollhouse (5167) which was a very good starter choice.  It came all furnished with plenty of accessories and a family too.  It was small enough to fit on a bookshelf and clean up was easy and quick: just shove everything back into the dollhouse (^_^).

But it was soon too small for all the figures I had so I looked for a bigger house.  Playmobil had released many models of big dollhouses but there are only three presently sold on their online store (in my country):  

  1. The Large Dollhouse (70205)
  2. The Suburban Dollhouse (4279)
  3. The Modern Luxury Mansion (5574)

Each of them are much bigger than the Take Along Dollhouse and you can buy floor extension to make them even bigger.  I chose the Suburban Dollhouse because I like that design the most.

I also purchased the following sets:

  • 7387 Floor Extension
  • 7388 Corner Extension
  • 7389 Corner Floor Extension
  • 7390 Light Kit 1
  • 7391 Light Kit 2  

As with all Playmobil toys, you have to build them.  It took me about 6 hours to build the dollhouse with all the extensions and lighting system.


The dollhouse set includes four figures (a mom, dad, son and daughter), a dog, a table, 2 chairs, a grill, a tray, bread, sausage and meat.  


That is really not a lot of furniture but fortunately I have other Playmobil furniture sets.


Each room is very spacious and easy for hands to access.  The possibilities are endless when it comes to setting it up.  


The walls are bare so I will eventually add some mirrors, paintings or other decorations.

With the floor and corner extensions, I had enough space to create a sewing room.


The roof on the top floor has windows that you can open as well.


There is a balcony and a nice patio on the side of the house.  The staircases are really well placed because they don't block hands from accessing the inside of the house.


The front balconies have glass doors and the side balcony has a regular door.  They can all close and open easily.  I especially like the glass doors.

This dollhouse has many cool features: windows that you can open both ways, a roof terrace, balconies and a retractable awning on the top balcony, a doorbell that chimes, and lights with a functioning switch.  

All in all I am very happy with this dollhouse and I don't regret choosing this model.  Here below are my list of pros and cons for this dollhouse:

Pros: 

  • Very sturdy
  • Beautiful design
  • Lots of play potential
  • Easy to clean 
  • Includes a set of 4 figures
  • Clear instructions

Cons:

  • Takes a long time to assemble
  • Does not come with many furniture 
  • Have to buy extensions + lights separately 

Do you like this house?  Do you have a favorite Playmobil dollhouse?

Disclaimer: All opinions are my own. I was not paid or received gifts to write this or mention any store or website.  

9 comments:

  1. The only plastic dollhouse I ever bought, was a very expensive fully furnished Fischer-Price one, for my first born granddaughter and this was about 40 years ago, long before I caught the miniature bug. Its still sturdy, complete with all its accessories and it's possible to learn what a real life house looked at that time.
    I love your little house.
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Drora! Oh how lovely!!! My first dollhouse was a Fischer-Price one! It was yellow and blue and it's still in good shape! They sure made very sturdy plastic back then :)

      Delete
  2. Merci d'avoir pris le temps d'écrire sur mon blog :) J'aime le réalisme des maisons Playmobil ^_^ Je crois que Bonbon serait trop grande pour cette échelle car ces maisons sont plus petites que celles de Sylvanian Families. Mais je ne suis pas certaine, n'ayant pas de poupées comme Bonbon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jane, I love this house and I’m looking for a birthday gift for my daughter, could you please give me an idea of the price? Thanks, Gorgea x

      Delete
    2. Hello Gorgea! Thank you for your comment. I think the dollhouse's price depends on the country where you live. In the USA, I paid $120 USD for the entire dollhouse (with a 20% discount). The basic model and each additional floor and furniture sets are priced separately. But if you want a good deal, Playmobil do offer bundle special and discounted price at different occasions during the year! Good luck in purchasing a dollhouse for your daughter!

      Delete
  3. Elle est superbe! Je la trouve super grande, et magnifique avec les lumières.
    Merci beaucoup pour la présentation!
    Nous aimons beaucoup les maisons Playmobil, surtout les victoriennes/belle époque. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci pour ton commentaire! Ah la belle maison victorienne de Playmobil me fait rêver. Elle n'est plus en vente malheureusement mais j'espère qu'un jour ils vont la remettre sur le marché :)

      Delete
  4. Elle est superbe, je n'aurais jamais imaginé qu'il fallait autant de temps pour la monter. J'ai eu de la chance de trouver la mienne déjà montée dans une convention Playmobil.
    J'adore le fait que tu ais rajouté un système d'éclairage pour chaque pièce, ça donne encore plus de charme et de réalisme ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci d'avoir pris le temps d'écrire sur mon blog! Ah tu as été bien chanceuse d'avoir une maison déjà toute construite. Il faut en effet beaucoup de temps. J'ai un château Playmobil et il m'a fallut 3 heures pour la construire! Mais je crois que cela valait bien la peine :)

      Delete